Quickly Fix Mic Not Working On Discord 2020
How to Mic Not Working On Discord
Discord is an app that helps people around the world to communicate with their fellow gamers. It is one of the apps having the least drawbacks, but nowadays, the people using this app are reporting an issue that their mic does not work properly while using this app. It is interesting to know that the issue can be resolved by using different methods. Here, we are going to discuss those possible methods to fix the issue.
Restart Windows or Discord
Before we go into more complicated ways to resolve this issue, this method should be tried first. Close your Discord, restart your PC, and then open the Discord App, and review if the problem is fixed or not.
Change Voice Settings
If you do not find your microphone working after using the above method, you can reset voice settings to solve the issue. For this, you have to follow the steps mentioned below
- First, you need to open the app.
- Navigate to the user settings menu.
- Select “voice and video” under app settings from the list on the left-hand side
- From the bottom of the list, click on “Reset Voice Settings”, which is represented in red font.
- It will clear all mute and local volumes.
This method will refresh all voice settings to their default successfully.
This method is one of the best solutions to solve microphone issues. Most of the users have found it most reliable to resolve the problem.
Get yourself logged out of the Discord App and restart the PC
This is also one of the basic solutions to fix the microphone issues. In this method, you first need to log out of the Discord App, and then again log in to your Discord App, and see if the problem is fixed, if you are still facing the same issue, then try out the next solution. You can follow the steps mentioned below using this method.
READ IT: Discord No Route Error? Here’s The Fix
- Open Discord App.
- Click on the cogwheel icon next to your profile name in the bottom left-hand corner to bring up the ‘’User Settings’’ menu.
- Navigate to the bottom of the list on the left-hand side and click on the red ‘’Log Out’’ option.
- You will be inspired by the message “are you assured you need to log out, click on “log out”.
- Close the App.
- Restart PC.
- Check whether the issue is fixed.
Although it is a reliable solution to the problem of temporary mic issues, it is not very useful for fixing long-term deep issues.
Assign and configure the correct input device
- Open up the Discord App.
- Click on the cogwheel icon that is present beside your profile name at the bottom left-hand corner, you will see an option” user setting” menu.
- Click on “Voice and Video” under “App Settings” from the bottom left-hand side.
- Click on the “Input Device’’ drop-down and select your headset/microphone from the option that appears.
- Just below, make sure to set the ‘’Input Volume’’ slider to the right up to 100%.
- Below “MIC TEST’’ below, click on “let’sCheck’’ then speak into your microphone.
- The meter ought to prompt as discord alternatives up the sound of your voice. adjust the enter volume to a secure level.
Change Input Sensitivity Settings
If you have ever changed your voice settings in your device in the past, then that might be one of the reasons for facing the microphone associated problem. You can change the settings in the Discord App and your windows as well by following the steps below.
- Go to the Discord App settings,
- Locate the “User Setting” area.
- In the list, you will see an option “Voice and Video”, click on it.
- You will now see a list that contains “input sensitivity settings”, click on this option.
- You will see a toggle for input sensitivity settings. It is supposed to be enabled, but if you have changed these settings in the past, then you can see it as “disabled”. Make sure that it is enabled.
- Now, check if the mic is working.
- You will see a green line, then you should disable the input sensitivity settings.
- Following this adjust the settings.
- The line will be located in the middle of the box, then your mic is supposed to work.
Input Mode Settings
Although Discord is quite a reliable app, being a piece of software, it is prone to its unique characteristics of eccentricity. One of those features may include switching from “Voice Activity” input mode to “Push to Talk” input mode to resolve issues.
Also, Read: Discord No Route
Switch off Microphone mode on Windows.
Exclusive mode is one of the features in Windows that allows specific programs to take control of certain devices including microphones as well. Discord is notably at odds with this feature that results in microphone errors. You can switch it off by using the following steps.
- Right-click on the speaker icon at the bottom right corner of your Windows taskbar.
- Select “Recording Services” from the drop-down menu.
- Among all these options, click on your microphone option, then move down and click on the “Properties” button below.
- Click on “Advanced tap” among options that run along the top of the Microphone Properties window we’ve just opened.
- Under “Exclusive Mode”, ensure that the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” and “Give exclusive mode applications priority” options are unchecked.
- Click “Apply”, then “Ok”.
- A PC restart doesn’t hurt at this point.
The problem may not arise due to faulty software but more commonly it occurs due to malfunctioning microphones. Make sure that microphones are properly connected to your device, as a little bit of dislodged input may cause the problem.
Secondly, you can check the performance of your audio device by using another application like Windows Voice Recorder. Apart from that, you can also use another device (Voice Memo App, etc.). Listen out your voice, if you observe distortion, cutouts, interruption then or even can’t hear anything at all, then most probably, microphones are broken, in that case, you need to purchase a new one or get them repaired.
Update Voice Drivers
- Click on “Device Manager” from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Expand the “Sound, video and game controllers’’ option.
- Then, right-click on your sound device and select “Update driver’’ from the contextual menu that appears.
- In the window that pops up, click on “Search automatically for updated driver software’’.
Windows will search for the most up to date driver. Follow the instructions given by the install wizard.
Apart from that, you can also visit your audio device manufacturer’s website and head for support. Search for the ultimate and latest version of drivers, download and install them.